What is green building?
Green building is a whole systems concept that takes into account the overall impact that buildings and landscapes can have on the natural environment and the people who occupy and enjoy them. According to the United States Green Building Council (USGBC), green building is generally accepted as the planning, design, construction, and operations of buildings with several central, foremost considerations: energy use, water use, indoor environmental quality, material selection, and the building’s effects on its site.
In the past decade, green building has gone from a small market niche to mainstream method for building construction and operations. Investment in green building is growing because of the high ROI for providing smart, healthy, affordable, and sustainable buildings and landscapes to clients and customers.
Why build green?
Buildings have a large impact on our natural environment. In the United States, buildings account for 7o% of the electricity, 40% of raw materials, and 12% of the potable water we use. Buildings also contribute to 40% of the country’s overall greenhouse gas emissions.
Green buildings use less energy, water, create less waste, and are healthier places to live and work than conventional buildings. Green structures are often of higher quality because they use more durable, sustainably-sourced, and healthy materials. Over the life of the building they typically cost significantly less to operate and maintain than conventional buildings.
These higher-performing green buildings are proven to make happier and more productive employees and occupants. We spend 90% of our time in buildings. More and more people demand that green buildings and spaces are the responsible thing to do and are desirable places for them to work and live. Additional environmental benefits include protection of natural resources, revitalization of ecosystems and biodiversity, preserving clean watersheds, and reversing contributions to climate change.
How does APS help you build green?
APSGC, Inc. is committed to building a green, sustainable, and healthy future for current and future generations. Our green building services empower clients to differentiate themselves in the market, attract tenants and/or clientele that lead to increased retail rates, as well as save energy and natural resources.
Our goal is to provide our clients with creative, functional, and environmentally responsible designs and construction services that are within budget. As a green design-build contractor, we incorporate techniques that use resources more efficiently during the entire building cycle— construction, renovation, operation, maintenance, and demolition. APSGC provides customized solutions through construction driven pragmatism that enables you to meet your building’s sustainability and financial goals.
Whether you are looking to build new or convert existing commercial properties into innovative eco-friendly spaces, speak with APSGC about how any or all of the following green building services we offer can enable you to reap positive social, economic, and environmental impacts:
What We Do:
GREEN BUILDING ANALYSIS AND ASSESSMENT
- Site and Building Analysis
- Life Cycle Assessment
- LEED Certification
- Constructability and Cost Estimates
DESIGN-BUILD SERVICES FOR GREEN BUILDING
- Innovative and inspiring sustainable design
- Architecture, engineering, and permitting
- Construction Management and Documentation
- Permaculture systems integration
OPTIMIZATION OF ENERGY PERFORMANCE
- Building envelope improvements
- Electrical and lighting system retrofits
- Energy modeling, commissioning, and monitoring
- Renewable energy systems (solar PV)
PROTECT AND CONSERVE WATER
- Rain Water Harvesting
- Grey Water Systems
- Low-flow plumbing retrofits
- Waterwise landscaping
IMPROVE INDOOR ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY
- Conventional HVAC retrofits
- Natural ventilation systems
- Pollution Prevention Programs
- Acoustic privacy and comfort control
ECO-FRIENDLY MATERIALS AND RESOURCE USE
- Sustainable Material Selection
- Non-toxic interior finishes
- Green construction & demolition management
- Zero Waste Management Planning
SUSTAINABLE LANDSCAPE ARCHITECTURE AND CONSTRUCTION
- Edible Organic Gardening
- Sustainable landscaping with California natives
- Ecosystem and habitat restoration
- On-site composting systems
HEALTH AND WELLNESS
- Bike racks and showers installation
- Alternative vehicle stations
- Access to nature and fitness
- Art displays and community gathering space
Let us help you with your green building commercial construction needs!